Tuesday 17 January 2012

Where Ever You Are...

Jim Elliot, missionary to Ecuador, once wrote the phrase "Where ever you are, be all there". 
The meaning behind this quote has been one of the challenges we, in the Missions Program at Vanguard,
have often been faced with. 
To take the moments where you are for their fullest potential.
To fully embrace the opportunities you have with individuals in the moments which you have the opportunities.
To not be constantly wishing you were somewhere else, 
expecting and thinking that the 'else' is better than what you have now. 
But the time we have now, is what we have. 
What power would there be if we truly enjoyed the times we are given, whatever we do?
What power would there be if we were able to find contentment with what we have so that we are not fantasizing and setting our sights on what we do not? 
What power would there be if we found solid footing in something more
that gives us the position and stance to stand where we are with great hope
for the potential of now?
Not a self-empowering power. 
Not naming and claiming.
But living, discerning what is good, 
being constantly connected with God 
and being present. 

Here is a sermon to check out on the topic that has got me thinking and challenged me on how present I am being.


"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength."
 -Philippians 4:11-13

1 comment: