Tuesday 5 June 2012

Flexibility

I once heard a global worker say

"Blessed are the flexible, for they shall bend and not break."

This, of course, is not referring to physical flexibility, but rather of spirit, will and attitude.
Four days in the Congo and its something I am reminded of now.
I'm not saying that I feel at a breaking point, I love it here,
but I do recognize already that if I am not willing walk with the river
to find the down-current 'v' and veer towards it,
I'll probably get swept away.

Flexibility.
In planning for the Congo my initial thoughts were not that I would be teaching English.
I've never seen myself as a teacher, and have not had any great desire to be so.
However, as fate would have it, one thing that the national pastor who is hosting me
asked me to do while here is to teach English.

I'm not going to lie, my heart didn't exactly skip a beat when I heard this,
but I knew I had to be willing to do what I needed in order to serve others
rather than to just reap for myself.

Since then and unto today the amount of time I will teach has probably doubled,
and I will be teaching almost every day to two separate classes.
But its okay. Its really okay.
I will still need to learn how to do what I need to do.
But if its what I'm supposed to be doing,
then as I seek to do with excellence, the resources will come,
the ideas will come, the confidence will come, heck, maybe even enjoying it will come.
And the love for my students, ages 18-40 something, will...no...has already begun to form. 

Yesterday, realizing that 40 or so students is not ideal for one classroom,
especially given that their English level vary greatly,
 we composed a small assessment to figure out each person's English proficiency.
This was one part writing/reading and one part a short interview.
I am thankful for this as it has given me an idea of the level of English,
and also gave me the chance, even if very briefly, to meet each student.
I am playing back their faces in my mind as they listened to and answered my questions. 
Some were very confident, others not so.
Some understand everything I said, a few only a couple words.
Furaha...Pascal...Tumaini...Mufano...Prince...Ireilengmendeakwna (that was a fun one, I later learned that he was merging together his full name and his first was actually just Ireile).

But as much as I did not originally plan on teaching English in my time in Bukavu,
as I type this and think about the students,
more and more I really want to do it with excellence.
And I thank God for allowing the change of heart, the flexibility within me.
I've got a lot to learn, but it is a great source of peace to remember that, in the end, I am not even working with these students. But that all is unto God.
My part is do my best with a willing, prayerful and thankful spirit,
beyond that I have no control
and I place it into God's hands to do with as He pleases. 

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the father through Him...Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. " Colossians 3:17, 23

And with thus an attitude we will prove ourselves, as wise students of the trees, being graceful in the wind.




1 comment:

  1. Amen. I pray for your continued good spirits about teaching :) God has a purpose indeed.

    ReplyDelete